In the 1830’s the Chaffe family came to Minden from the
old world of England. Many English immigrants followed.
Why they chose Minden we many never know, but Minden is
the better for these tough men and women. They made the
choice to settle in this new land with all of its
advantages and freedoms. They were hard working business
people that soon made their mark on the community. They
became closely identified with the industrial and
business life of Minden. For many years they gave their
services and efforts in Minden’s further development,
thus handing down a legacy to their descendants of being
linked with Minden’s earliest achievements. In 1873, a
church was built, Gothic in style, with a tall tower and
spire 75 feet in height; and with tall windows with
colored glass. On February 2, 1874, the church was
consecrated. In 1887, the Ladies Parochial Association
was reorganized and called St. John’s Guild. Mrs. Ida
Virginia Goodwill was the president. She was Alfred
Goodwill’s second wife and the great-grandmother of
Louisiana Governor Murphy J. (Mike) Foster III. In
October, 1947, talks of a new church building were in
the works. The last service in the old church was on
January 23, 1949.
The beautiful church that we know
today as the home of St. John’s was completed in 1951.
It has the feel of an old English country church tucked
among beautiful trees and gardens. The first service in
the new church was held on June 10, 1951. The church has
gone through many transformations since 1951. The
members of St. John’s are like one big family. Many
members are the descendants of the original members that
came to Minden so many years ago. St. John’s welcomes
you with open arms.