311 East & West St.
The Davis-Green Home

311 East & West Street Two storey Georgian, second storey added 1921, one storey gallery w/twin columns on brick piers.  Built 1902 by Martin family, rented by Judge Watkins 1902-1903; bought by Charles Davis, 1903; bought by Chas. Lunsford 1950’s bought by Wm. Green in 1964.

This Central Hall, Greek Revival Style home was started in the late 1890’s by a local builder, Mr. Martin, whom was responsible for many turn of the century homes in this area. Mr. Martin was constantly called to another project, so the house he intended for his family had to wait. It was finally finished in 1901, the Martins still did not move in. A fire at the home of Judge Watkins 318 College Street residence caused a change of plans for the Martin family. The Martins let the Judge and his family live in the home while the repairs were being made from the fire. In 1903 Mr. Charles Davis was the next owner moving his growing family from the Cotton Valley area. Shortly after their arrival in Minden, on Thanksgiving Day 1903 a son was born. James Davis would grow up to become the president of Minden Bank. In 1920 remodeling was going on next door at the Fogle home so Mr. Davis decided to add an upstairs addition to his single-story home. Davis added the second-story with used wood from the Fogle home thus saving money and doubling the size of this home. The next owners would be Mr. & Mrs. Charlie Lunsford. In 1969 the current owners purchased the home now known as the Green Home.Bill and Billie Jean Green raised a family of three boys in this home. Bill is known as the mayor of Academy Park. The Greens are very active in the Minden Historic Residential District Association.

The Greens

Picture Made in 1907 From L to R Are Valerie Farrar, Charlie, Norma Gray, Jim and Nell Davis.

 

 

Picture made in 1911 From L to R are Gus Wason, Mr. Davis, Mrs. Davis (Holding Ford), Norma Gray and Nell. 

In front are Charlie and Jim (on Scooter)