328 Lewisville Rd

The McDonald-Monk House

 

328 Lewisville Road Corner of Lewisville Road and East and West St. Two and one-half storey, rambling plan, curved galleried, turret, ballroom first floor.  Built 1908 by John McDonald, Jr. (rebuilt 1910, architect from Knoxville, Tenn.)  Bought by J.L. Bridges, Sr. 1921; bought by Flewellyn family 1930’s; Mrs. Miriam Monk in 1966.

Date Placed on National Register

8/13/1986

Built by John W. McDonald in 1900, this Victorian home is over 8000 sq ft, and consists of 12 rooms and four fireplaces.  McDonald, a single man, would travel by horse drawn wagon to Sibley to pick up supplies for the building of the home that came by train.  He also made trips, in the same wagon, to Shreveport for supplies that came by paddle wheelers from Baton Rouge and New Orleans these were two-day trips by wagon requiring over-night stays along the way. 
Some of the outstanding features of this home are its four bay windows and the beautiful and unusual use of Curly Pine.  The large parlor and dining room have Curly Pine paneling; all the woodwork in the entire home is Curly Pine.  The small parlor, dining room and guest bedroom has a very Victorian design of Curly Pine in the center of the floors.  The home is also equipped with two kitchens one upstairs and one downstairs.  The Round Room has three curved windows along with the 14-foot ceilings that are throughout the home.  The home has a front and back stairway along with three halls and 3 and baths.
 Miriam Monk purchased the home in 1966 and raised her family here.  Mrs. Monk was known for her love of music as the band director for many years at Lowe Jr. High School.  Her love for history was one of the reasons for the founding of such organizations as The Historic Residential District Association and the Dorcheat Historical Association.  Miriam Monk was the very first president of The Historic Residential District Association.  She was very active in many civic organizations in Minden.
 In 1986 the home was placed on the National Register of Historic Places.

The McDonald House (c.1900) is a two story frame Queen Anne Revival residence located on a large corner lot in the old residential section of Minden. Despite some alterations, the house retains its National Register eligibility. The McDonald House features a prominent corner turret which forms a faceted alcove at one end of the large living room. There is no central hall; the house is entered via the living room, where a central staircase ascends in its own hall. Other rooms adjoin the living room through pocket doors, thus creating a somewhat open floor plan. In addition to the living room alcove, two of the house's principal rooms feature projecting polygonal bays. The living room and a secondary parlor have corner fireplaces which share a common chimney. The exterior is enlivened by a continuous thirteen bay Tuscan gallery which encompasses three sides of the house. The gallery columns are tripled to mark the main entrance. As it follows the curve of the corner turret, the gallery bulges dramatically. Although the first story of the turret is faceted, the second story is completely round, even the plate glass windows are curved. The turret is surmounted by a round conical roof. The main entrance portion of the gallery is surmounted by a second story single bay galleried pavilion under a hip roof. The roofline also features a single chimney and two pent dormers. Two portions of the house feature imprecated shingle work. These are the skirting roof at the base of the second story galleried pavilion and the top of the second story of the turret. All of the principal rooms feature curly pine wainscoting with burl panels. The doors have a similar treatment. Mantels are oak veneer and feature mirrored overmantels. In addition, two of the rooms have parquet floors. Alterations Since construction, the following changes have been made in the house: 1. In the 1920's a rear porch was glazed in. 2. In 1980 portions of the exterior were resheathed in aluminum siding. Although this is regrettable, the turret, detailing, and decorative shingle work were not touched. Only the flat areas of clapboarding were covered, and the siding was fitted to duplicate the appearance of the original siding underneath. Thus the house's exterior appearance was not noticeably altered. Specific dates c.1900 Builder/Architect Builder: Mr. McDonald Statement of Significance (in one paragraph) The McDonald House is locally significant in the area of architecture because it is an important example of the Queen Anne Revival style within the context of north-central Louisiana. (This includes the parishes of Lincoln, Union, Claiborne, Webster, Bienville, Jackson and Ouachita.) North-central Louisiana, a distinctive area sometimes known as the "Hill Parishes," is mainly characterized by the Upland South culture. During the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries the Queen Anne Revival was a decidedly urban influence in the region. But the several hundred examples found there today are fairly humble. Most are cottages with a two or three bay gallery across half the front and perhaps a single projecting polygonal bay under a gable. The McDonald House is important within this group because of its scale and superior architectural styling. It is one of very few two story examples in the region. More importantly, its complex thirteen bay verandas is a type of feature found on only the grandest examples in the area. Finally, the McDonald House is one of only six Queen Anne Revival residences in the region to feature a turret. Generally speaking, it is the use of a turret which distinguishes the grand Queen Anne houses from the lesser examples. A turret contributes much to the elaborateness of a house's massing, something which is very much a part of the Queen Anne Revival aesthetic. Secondly, because a turret contributes very little extra floor space at considerable extra cost, it is certainly a luxury item.  Major Bibliographical References Louisiana Historic Structures Survey, Lincoln, Union, Claiborne, Webster, Jackson, and Ouachita Parishes.