413 East & West St.
413 East and
West Street The Webb Home dates of construction vary
from 1850-1854 by Junius Webb. This home was
built as a town home for the family before he went to
the Civil War. The Webb family lived 18 miles from
Home located at 413 East & West
Street was built with slave labor as a town house in the
Federal Design by Junius Y. Webb, a prominent merchant
and planter of what was at that time Claiborne Parish.
Estimated dates of construction vary from 1850-1854.
Williamson Jones, Parish Surveyor, map of 1851 shows J.Y.
the owner of this location approximately 373’ wide x
533’ deep. Webb Court is shown on the survey and is said
to have been the original carriage drive to the rear of
the house. The house is distinctive in that it has three
stories on two levels, for the original hand hewed
random width cypress boards on the front gallery, its
solid 3 inch thick cypress interior walls and the
original hand made doors and facings over the windows.
Three of the original four fireplaces remain. Their
small size seems to indicate that they may have used
coal, which though low in quality was available in the
area, as a fuel. This home has had only three owners.
The last Webb family occupants of the house were Captain
Webb’s two elderly unmarried daughters, Ida and Sally
and their youngest brother ,Stephen, who required
special care. Upon their death, M.P. Hodges purchased it
from the Webb family and resided there until 1968 when
it was purchased by the present owner Carolyn McDaniel
and her husband at that time, Joe Warren, and preserved
just prior to being
demolished. She and her present husband ,Jim , now
occupy and maintain the home. The basic plan is the same
as originally built.
Y. Webb was born in Marengo County, Ala., on
July 22, 1832, and was a son of Samuel S. and
Ann M. (Dickens) Webb, both natives of North Carolina.
When still a young man and before achieving his majority
he had successfully established himself in the
In October 1854 he married Miss Annie E. Grigsby,
a native of Alabama and daughter of Dr. Samuel Grigsby.
After his marriage, Mr. Webb continued as a merchant and
planter. During the Civil War, he
enlisted in 1862 in an independent cavalry company, the
Minden Rangers. At the reorganization of the company in
1863, First Sergeant Webb was elected Captain, serving
in that capacity until the close of the war.
primary residence is said to have been located about 18
miles north of town at Flat Lick Plantation ,where he
farmed large acreage, and it was here that he sent his
family to be cared for by his slaves during the war. The
town house remained vacant until his return at wars end.
the close of the war Captain Webb continued as a
successful merchant and planter. He owned many very
large tracts of land. Some that extended
to Red River. Court records reflect his involvement in
sale and purchase
many acres in this area. Mineral analysis of some of
this land showed fifty-two per cent iron ore which was
said to be of the quality needed for the manufacture of
steel. Captain Webb was anxious to have this mineral
developed, but did not succeed in getting support for
the project. He and
his son Samuel G. Webb founded Webb Hardware &
Mercantile in which Samuel was active until his death in
Captain and Mrs.
Webb had 12 children: an unnamed infant who died at
birth, Annie, Ida, Samuel Grigsby, Mary
Irene, Sally, Junius Young, Mildred, John Webb, Eva,
Rhydon Dickens and
Captain Webb and family, with the exception of the
youngest child , were members of the Methodist Episcopal
Records indicate that in addition to his business
Webb also served as Alderman and Treasurer of the Town
of Minden for many years.
Annie died August 03, 1906 and he died two years later
on August 04, 1908. They and
several of their
children are buried in a fenced plot in the Old Minden
He was considered one of the most reliable and trusted
men in the parish.
Tuesday, April 12,
Page 8, Column 2
Burial of Robert
Minden, April 12.
burial here Sunday afternoon of the remains of Robert B.
Webb, only son of Junius Y. Webb, and wife, Lena Bridger
Webb, of Dallas, Texas, who died on Saturday (sic)
morning last at Austin, Texas, where he was just
completing the last few weeks of his collegiate course,
was the cause of a great deal of sorrow and aroused a
sympathy most profound in the hearts of Minden's
citizens here, where the family is so well known,
respected and loved. Handsome, intelligent, loyal to
truth, duty and uncompromising in his defense of right,
Robert was the embodiment of a pure, well developed
manhood, who amid changes of scene and association
maintained unsullied the beautiful character developed
at home by a fond father and mother, and the sweet
association with a loved and only sister. Capt. Junius
Y. Webb, merchant, Minden, La. The business position
occupied by Capt. Webb in this community is such, that
in depicting the commercial interests of Minden it would
be manifestly impossible to omit mention of an
institution that adds so materially to the
representative enterprise of that city. He is one of the
oldest merchants and most public-spirited men in Webster
Parish. The Captain was born in Marengo County, Ala., on
July 22, 1832, and is a son of Samuel S. and Ann M.
(Dickens) Webb, both natives of North Carolina. There he
made his home until 1862, when he came to Louisiana, and
died in what is now Webster Parish in 1863. His wife
died in Mississippi while on a visit to a daughter in
1860. They were the parents of six sons and two
daughters, all of whom grew to mature years and became
heads of families. All the brothers, with the exception
of our subject, were physicians and very successful
practitioners, being men of superior education. Capt. J.
Y. Webb passed his boyhood and youth in Alabama, secured
a good education in the high schools of his State, and
when quite a young man, and before arriving at his
majority, he engaged in the mercantile business at Sumterville. On October, 1854, while a resident of
Alabama, he was married to Miss Anna E. Grigsby, a
native of the same State and daughter of Dr. Samuel
Grigsby. After his marriage Capt. Webb, continued
merchandising in Alabama up to 1855, when he closed out
and moved to Louisiana, where he began tilling the soil
in Webster Parish. In 1858 he located in Minden,
embarked in mercantile pursuits again, and this carried
on up to the breaking out of the war. In 1862 he
enlisted in an independent cavalry company, the Minden
Rangers, composed of some of the best citizens of
Minden, a number of whom has since become men of more
than local renown. This company served first as Gen.
Frank Armstrong's escort, after that with Gen. W. H.
Jackson. At the reorganization of the company in 1863
Mr. Webb was elected captain, serving in that capacity
until the close of the war. During the latter part of
the service he was on the staff of Gen. Scott, as
inspector. He is considered one of the most
reliable business men of Webster parish. He owns quite a
tract of land in this parish, which is very rich with
iron ore, some of which the Captain had analyzed, and
which showed fifty-two per cent of iron of superior
quality. It is said to be a quality for the manufacture
of steel. Capt. Webb is anxious to have this mineral
developed, but being several miles from the railroad he
has not succeeded in getting the proper parties to take
hold with him in its development. To Capt. And Mrs. Webb
have been born nine children: Ida, Samuel G. (a merchant
in Minden), Sally, Junius, Mildred Watson (wife of
Standley Watson), John, Eva, Rhydon and Stephen. Capt.
Webb and family, with the exception of the youngest
child, are members of the Methodist Episcopal Church.