Webster Parish Library

521 East & West Street


521 East & West Street Built by Joseph G. Ferguson 1919-21.  Remodeled in 2007-08.  Listed with National Register of Historic Places on 12/10/1980.

National Registry Information on the Ferguson Library Building The Webster Parish Library Building is set in a pretentious twentieth century suburban neighborhood of Minden. The two story cement stucco building is seven bays wide with arched fenestration on the first floor and double arched fenestration on the second. The red tile hip roof has extended rafter ends. Evidently there was originally a dining room, living room, kitchen, central stair hall, butler's pantry and music room. All the partitions and mantels have been removed, the ceiling has been lowered, and strip lighting has been installed. All that remains is the main stair and the servant's stair. To the rear of tile house is a garage built in a similar style. Specific dates early 1920's Builder/Architect Builder - Joe G. Ferguson Statement of Significance The Webster Parish Library Building is significant in the area of architecture as a local example of the 1920's Spanish Colonial Revival. Although there are contemporaneous eclectic (mainly Georgian Revival) structures in Minden of greater pretension, the library is generally held to be the finest example of its particular style. Although the interior features are lost the exterior is the broadest and grandest of Mission Revival residences in Minden. No other example in the town can match its full two story seven bay facade and its triple arch entrance. The typical example in Minden, and indeed in Louisiana as a whole, has five bays or less, one story, and a single entrance door. It is therefore of outstanding significance within the context of Minden. The Webster Parish Library Building was built in the early 1920's to be the home of Joe G. Ferguson, a wealthy lumberman in the area. It was deeded in 1963 to the Webster Parish Police Jury for the exclusive use of the parish library.

The Webster Parish Library and Annex  built with stucco exterior, tile roof, oval casement windows was built in 1919-21 by Joseph G. Ferguson.


Book Mobile


Major Bibliographical References
Letters from Thomas Lorraine Campbell, Official Webster Parish Historian, to Dan Hodson, February 9, April 28, 1980. Conveyance Records, Webster Parish